Councillor Macri's motion reads:
1. Marrickville Council immediately withdraw its support for the BDS Global Campaign and put out a press release stating this on the Council web site.
2. that Council remove the boycott of all goods in Israel and any sporting, academic, government or cultural exchanges.
3. Marrickville Council write to the local state and federal ministers (Carmel Tebbutt and Anthony Albanese) informing them of Council's position on this item.
4. that Council acknowledge that Australian Foreign Policy is the responsibility of the Commonwealth Government and not Local Government.
5. that Marrickville Council write to Randwick Council informing them of Council’s decision.
6. Marrickville Council write a letter detailing the wishes of the people of Marrickville for a peaceful solution and an end to violence in the region to Israel and Palestine Governments. Officer’s Comments General Manager: As part of the resolution of the Council on the GBDS adopted on the 14th December 2010 staff were required to prepare a report on the implications of the GBDS should Council decide to actively pursue the boycott and divestment provisions inherent in the global BDS campaign. A report has been completed and has been included in the Business Paper for the Council meeting to be held on 19th April. This report includes commentary on the potential financial implications of the GBDS decision of the Council. I urge the Council to seek a workable and equitable solution to this issue as a matter of urgency as the GBDS issue and the speculation surrounding it has become a distraction for staff at a time when we are working through a considerable program of organisational change and strategic planning aimed at maintaining Marrickville Council as a vibrant, sustainable and responsive Council into the future.
■Notes the boycott of Israel instigated by Marrickville Council – the Global Boycott Divestments and Sanctions (GBDS) – banning any links with Israeli organisations or organisations that support Israel and prohibiting any academic, government, sporting or cultural exchanges with Israel.
■Notes letters from Marrickville Council to Members of Parliament asking them to support the GBDS.
■Notes reports of the intention of the Greens Marrickville Mayor Ms Fiona Byrne to seek to extend the boycott of Israel to the entire state of NSW.
■Acknowledges that Israel is a legitimate and democratic state and a good friend of Australia.
■Denounces the Israel boycott by Marrickville Council and condemns any expansion of it
Said Fifield, a Liberal Senator from the State of Victoria:
"I’m pleased that the Senate has passed this very important motion.
We must send a message in the strongest possible terms to our friends in Israel that Marrickville Council’s extreme view is not supported by the majority of Australians.
It is important that Members of Parliament take a stand against this campaign to delegitimise Israel."Source: J-Wire
Fiona Byrne lost her bid to represent Marrickville in the NSW legislature, by the way, but this is still worth a laugh: